Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring is Here! The Howl is Coming!!

I hope that you all had a terrific Spring Break.  It was nice to see all your happy faces again today.  Many of you seemed excited about the fresh, new look of our blog, as well as the fact that I have some videos on for you now.  Have fun practicing your numbers at home with a little "Math Dance Party"!!

I wanted to send out a reminder note that the Coyote Howl is coming up next month in May and that I still need some volunteers to help with the collection and organization of the Howl Basket.  Our theme is "The Great Outdoors/Camping".  I would like to try and make two baskets this year for the Silent Auction, one basket for a little boy's camp-out, and one for a little girl's camp-out.  I plan on getting the tents for our baskets, but would need your help with the rest of the items.  Sleeping bags, Camp Chairs, Flashlights, Camp Treats (S'mores), Camping Stories, etc.  would all make great items to include.  Some of the kids thought of other things like stuff to make a campfire or knife/axe to help with camping, but I want to stay away from those items.  The parents of the winning bids for our basket can take care of those items if they need.  My vision is really a "backyard camp-out" for children 4-12 years of age.  The ones who might get the most use out of these baskets.

I will be sending home a flyer later this week with some directions and ideas to get us started.  I would love to get everything collected by the end of the month or the first week of May, that way we can see what we have, and make a last pitch effort to get any items that our baskets may be lacking.  All items need to be new and unopened.  If you can give a receipt, or somehow mark how much the item is worth, that will be helpful when we inventory what is inside the basket.  During the auction, we always list the items inside each basket, as well as what the basket is worth.  I would love it if parents can email me or return the bottom of the flyer by next Friday (April 12th) with what their family wants to donate for the basket.  This will be a great help so that we don't end up with the "Sleeping Bags Basket" or the "Flashlights Basket".  Some items might be pricey for one family to purchase, so if you are friends with another family, you can definitely go in together to get an item.  Another alternative would be to donate a couple bucks for the Howl.  I take a collection each year and keep the money (and a list of who donated) in a locked cabinet in my classroom.  Then the week before the Howl, the Parent Volunteers and I can use the collection to purchase items our basket still needs.  Any extra money goes onto a Gift Card that we include in the basket.  Just a nice way to ensure we have a nice basket that people would like to buy.

I hope that you are getting excited for the Coyote Howl.  If you have been to one before then you know how much fun they are.  If you have never been, please make plans to come this year, you will not regret it.  I told the students today that we are bringing back the always popular "Pie in the Face" game, and I know that your children will be looking forward to smacking me in the face with a cream pie!!  Check your children's backpacks this week for the Howl Flyer, and have a wonderful week!
                                                                                                              -Mr. Linnet

No comments:

Post a Comment